Grass too needs food alike our body to grow. Watering and planting is not enough in order to keep them green and healthy. If you want lush green garden you need to provide fertilizer to your grass. No doubt that this whole process might consume some time but, it is not unachievable and the result would make you so happy.
This guide will help you with knowing what type and when to use the fertilizer. It is just a basic plan about how fertilizer works.
It will guide you as to when should you fertilize:
- Warm Season Grass. Don’t fertilize it in the hottest months of summer; apply it in early and late spring, you can apply it again in summer end.
- Cool Season Grass. It requires to be fertilized twice, that is in fall and early spring.
Below is the ways of fertilizing seeds, do follow the instructions carefully:
- Broadcast Spreader. It’s a spreader in a walk behind way, basically used in large gardens.
- Drop spreader. It is alike broadcast spreader but for small areas. It fertilizes seeds in more concentrated manner.
- Handheld Spreader. It has been designed for small and patchy yards.
Top 10 Fertilizers for Grasses Comparison
|1. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food – WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food, 5,000-sq ft||5,000 square feet||$$||4.6|
|2. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food – 5 lbs (Not Sold in MD, NJ)||4,000 square feet||$$||4.5|
|3. GreenView Fall Lawn Food, 16 lb. bag Covers 5000 sq. ft||5,000 square feet||$$||4.4|
|4. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food, 5,000-sq ft (Lawn Fertilizer)||5,000 square feet||$$||4.4|
|5. Safer Brand 9333 Ringer Lawn Fertilizer – 25 Pounds||5,000 square feet||$$$||4.3|
|6. Scotts Natural Lawn Food – 2,500-sq ft||2,500 – 4,000 square feet||$$$||4.2|
|7. Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Food – Starter Food for New Grass, 1,000-sq ft||1,000 square feet||$||4.2|
|8. Jonathan Green 11351 Mag-I-Cal Pelletized Calcium Fertilizer, 45-Pound||Up to 10,000 square feet||$$$$||4.1|
|9. Organics Rx Sea Kelp 100 Seaweed Fertilizer, 32 fl. oz.||Not Specified||$||4.1|
|10. Milorganite 0636 Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer, 36-Pound||2,500 square feet||$$$||4.0|
Following are the ingredients that is must to have in a good quality lawn fertilizer:
- Nitrogen. It’s an essential element required for grass to grow dense, healthy and green.
- Potassium. It helps to toughen the roots.
- Phosphorous. It encourages the growth of healthy roots.
The amount of nutrient required by grass completely depends upon the type of grass you’ve as the quantities vary.
Type of fertilizer you want to use is your choice. Some of the option are:
- Granular. It’s people’s favorite due to its durability and the convenience it provides; it comes with spreaders; it can either be time-release, or fast-release, ensure reading the information about the product before you buy it.
- Organic. It’s made using emulsion of fish and other living organisms; it can be applied using a rake, by hand or spreader; it helps in improving the texture and density of the grass.
- Liquid. It comes in a concentrated mixture and can be applied using a spray bottle or a hose.
- Synthetic. Made using various chemicals; it penetrate down the soil and isn’t much durable. One needs to apply it on a regular basis for better results.
It’s one of the best fertilizer available for grass. It works well on all grass and lawn types. It provides better absorption of water and nutrients and strengthens roots. It has a 5000 sq. ft. coverage which in yards is equal to 10 yd. You can even repair damage caused by heat and drought using this product. Scotts recommend it to apply it once every fall and again after 6-8 weeks; this much application is sufficient for protection of lawn in the entire winter.
Don’t apply this product in extreme humid weather as it might react and clog the spreader. If you abide by the directions it’ll give you amazing results in no time.
There’s a drawback for people living in Florida and Pinellas County that this product isn’t available there.
It can be used in any season or any grass type as it doesn’t have any side effects. A box weighing 5 pound is capable of covering 5,000 sq. ft. of area. It works well for new lawns as well as the ones which need revitalization.
It’s high in nitrogen and contains chelated iron too; these nutrients/ingredients ensures a green and dense lawn. For getting the best results make sure to use a sprayer as it is a water soluble formula.
It won’t leave any burn marks on the ground and the results would be quick to see. It’s a good alternative for an economical and convenient product.
It’s not available for purchase in New Jersey or Maryland.
Green Smart tech has been developed by Green View. It helps in revitalizing the soil and enhances growth. It is applied using spreader. Its 16 pound pack is capable of covering 5,000 sq. ft.
It is recommended to apply it in fall months to induce the growth in the month of spring. It has also been advised to use it in already set lawns instead of the newly seeded ones. It works well on patchy or brown spots. Its one application only will make it last up to the time duration of 8 weeks.
It’s the cheapest amongst the top three products that we mentioned. Give this fertilizer a try if you want a fertilizer which can be used on any grass types and gives fast results along with healthy and green grass.